Julie Weltzien, born in Bonn/Germany. Grew up in Germany, Lebanon and Syria.
Studied Landscape Architecture in Berlin, Hannover and Edinburgh. Worked as freelance Landscape Architect in Berlin and lived in Beirut/Lebanon from 2002 to 2013. Taught Landscape Architecture at the American University of Beirut.
Her main research interest lies in the field of Landscape Choreography, sensorial urbanism,. Another field is the role of landscape architecture in the developing world and the growing megacities, urban agriculture and participatory planning processes in the urban and rural communities.
She has also worked as a consultant for a variety of projects inside and outside of Lebanon.
Moments of Deviation or Walk the Splace - An investigation of the potentials of vacant lots in Beirut. (Research and Public Art Event)
4D Design Dance_Dance Design_ establishing physical connections with the abandoned environment. A collaboration between spatial designers, dancers and filmmakers. (3 short movies and 1 public performance in an abandoned space in Beirut)
Currently at the Hybridplatform (ww.hybrid-plattform.org) with a scholarship from DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service). Subject: Landscape Choreography various performances and events in the urban and rural environment
- Focus 1: Ecological Landscape Design I (large landscape features in the urban periphery and their influence on the city fabric)
- Focus 2: Ecological Landscape Design II (rural landscapes of Lebanon in the Beqaa plains)
- Focus 3: Land Art (Installations and participation at the Beirut Garden Show
- Spatial Structures and Movement - when contemporary dance and spatial design meet
- Landscape History and Theory
- Landscape Appreciation
- Current Issues in Landscape Design